It was Wednesday June 15, 1966 in Corning, NY, when 14-year-old Anthony had his experience with a Boomerang UFO.
Anthony said he had just finished eating dinner with his parents and two siblings. It was final exam week, so he decided to take the family dog for a walk before returning to his room to study for an Earth Science exam. The teen and the family’s poodle had just gotten off the back steps when the dog stopped abruptly, looked up and whined. Anthony, puzzled at what was spooking the dog, looked into the blue sky above.
“There it was,” he said. “A silver wedge-shaped object high above me. It was blinking five lights on and off together; three seconds on and two seconds off.”
Anthony said that him being interested in science gave him the presence of mind to time the light flashes using the spoken “one-one-thousand” method. He stretched out his arm with several coins to get a reference measurement on size. The boomerang UFO appeared to be as high in the sky as an airliner, but roughly measured to be the size of a quarter at the end of his out-stretched arm.
“This thing was moving really slow, so I opened my hand and stretched out my fingers like they taught us in Earth Science,” he said.
Anthony explained that the distance from the tip of the little finger to the tip of the thumb is about 22 degrees.
“The boomerang UFO was traveling south to north and covered a distance of about 22 degrees in about five minutes. All the while the boomerang UFO slowly blinked its five-light array,” he said.
Anthony said he called for his father twice to come outside and see it. Finally, he loudly insisted.
“My dad was rather irritated with me, but came out on the back porch. I pointed at the blinking boomerang UFO. Dad wasn’t amused, ‘Oh, it’s a damn airplane!’
“I insisted that it wasn’t. I pointed at the poodle that was rigid as a statue and still watching the object.”
Anthony’s father wouldn’t look again, muttering that it was nonsense. By this time, the teen’s mother came out for a look. She only caught a momentary glimpse, as the blinking boomerang UFO flew into a cloud bank.
As he recalled the occurrence, Anthony had a look of wonder on his face as he said, “It’s as clear to me now as it was 49 years ago.”
Let’s look at some recent UFO sightings in New York Skies.
- June 5, 2015: at about 9:30 p.m., a summer resident of the Lake George area was watching some local fireworks and observed a stationary glowing object that appeared to be observing the display. It disappeared after the show.
- June 11, 2015: at about 7:10 p.m., a Springville, NY resident observed a bright glowing object trailing a high altitude airliner.
- June 13, 2015: at about 10 p.m., a resident of Oakdale, NY witnessed a bright red ball-like object flying toward the Northwest. In the hours afterwards she reports that there was “noticeable increase in military activity.”
- June 13, 2015: at about 9:45 p.m., several New Berlin, NY residents observed three glowing orbs over the local electrical substation.
- June 13, 2015: at about 11:30 p.m., a resident of Jamestown, NY witnessed a bright orange fireball-like light fly overhead, only to be following by another several minutes later.
- June 14, 2015: at about 9:45 p.m., a Raleigh, NY couple saw a bright orange globe flying in straight line, north to south. It was completely silent as it passed.
If you are interested in joining a monthly UFO discussion group in Onondaga County area, drop Cheryl an email [email protected] If you have a UFO sighting to report, you can use either one of the two national database services: nuforc.org or mufon.com. Both services respect confidentiality.
Cheryl Costa would love to hear the when, where and what of your New York sighting. Email it to [email protected]. The names of witnesses will be omitted to protect their privacy.