A week doesn’t go by that someone doesn’t ask me if off-world beings are visiting Earth, and more specifically, New York state. Of course, I find myself between a rock and a hard place. If I say yes, I get verbally assaulted with lines like, “You have no evidence of extraterrestrials!” If I say no, I get plenty of verbiage to the tune of, “But what about all the reports?”
For the record I believe extra-ordinary beings have visited Earth and specifically New York state. Does that mean they are all space aliens? Not necessarily. But I’ll discuss that topic in a future article. I did a little digging and here are some snippets of what New Yorkers have reported over the years.
1. In the spring in the early 1880s, a group of children was walking down a country road to school near Cameron in Steuben County. As the children were about to cross a bridge over a swollen creek, they saw several little bald men with big eyes and were wearing blue coveralls. The children ran home terrified.
2. In Sullivan County in 1942, a 10-year-old boy was grounded inside the family cottage for an earlier misdeed. While the young man was making the best of his “imposed alone time,” he heard a light tapping on the window. He looked outside and saw a strange, little bald person with huge, dark eyes. No one in his family believed him.
3. In 1954, just outside of Peekskill in Westchester County, a married couple witnessed a female who was wearing clothing that was glowing, including strange goggles. The missus was so emotionally overcome by the experience that she had to be taken to a hospital.
4. In the fall of 1957 in Schenectady County, a woman observed a flying disk coming down from the sky. She said it hovered above the ground and several dark-skinned little men with big eyes exited the craft. She later told investigators that the beings flashed some sort of beam at her and her young child. Both the woman and her child developed a strange rash on their bodies and required medical attention.
5. In the dead of winter of 1957 in Erie County near the village of Depew, a woman was driving down a road in a snow storm when the engine of her car stalled and quit. She looked around to see if there was anyone she could ask for help. That’s when she saw through the falling snow a glowing craft that appeared to be hovering slightly above the snow covered ground. Through the snow she observed two beings. She described them as tall insect like creatures. When the strange beings noticed her in her car, they returned to this craft and it took off, spinning as it did.
6. Finally in the summer of 1964 near the village of Conklin in Broome County, a woman was tending to her kitchen work. Suddenly her two sons, ages 9 and 7, and three of their friends rushed in from outside, all out of breath. They all ask for glasses of water. When she asked why, they breathlessly told her it was for “the space man!” When later questioned about the space man, the boys were hesitant to talk. After must prodding, they described a small, human-like man in a black suit with strange insignia. He also wore a helmet with antennas. The children described a shiny craft parked out in the field. Later, an inspection of that area of the field found grass that had been crushed into a circle by a significant weight.
If you are interested in joining a monthly UFO discussion group in the Onondaga County area, drop Cheryl an email at [email protected]. If you have a UFO sighting to report, you can use either one of the two national database services: nuforc.org or mufon.com. Both services respect confidentiality.